Sunday, May 19, 2013

Connection to Ancient Rome

The other day in Latin class, we were having a discussion about Ancient Roman politicians. The conversation was going pretty well until I answered the question of whether or not it was worth it to become a politician at the time. Many people said no because there was a large risk of being killed because of your beliefs. That is understandable. However, I said that I respect people more when they stand by their beliefs. I also said that these same people (Ancient Roman politicians) were seen as martyrs in my eyes. Not all of them of course, but some. This brought on a long pause and some quizzical looks. I believe in standing by what you believe in. As cliché as it sounds, it is true. Being a teenager, or just human, today means there is much pressure of conform and become what you are not. The connection to Ancient Rome is simple. Although bloody wars are not fought for not agreeing with society, people die. Physically, mentally, and spiritually. Stand with what you believe in and stay your true, authentic self. 

No comments:

Post a Comment